Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bug-a-licious!!

Recently, my dad asked me to accompany him down to Thailand, just for a short holiday. My sister had to work on the weekend, so does my brother. Lucky me that i only work 5 days a week, so i agreed to follow him down to Danouk. So, it was only my dad, mom and me. That sounds fun right?!!?? **i guess**


We took a slow drive down to Penang, visited some friends and we are suppose to spend the night at Penang and proceed to the Thai borders early morning the next day. My cousin Nicole was at Penang most of the weekends because her brother is working there. So the whole family is quite a frequent visitor in Penang. It was kinda late, i think it's about 8-ish. It's about another 1 and a half hour drive down to the Thai borders from Penang. So my dad made a few calls to make sure the time that the Customs at the border close. They close about midnight, so we quickly make our way up to the Thai border.
.
We manage to find a hotel..i don't even remember it's name. Quite spacious, only RM 80 per night for a suite. But the only problem is that there's a night club right beside and guess what, they play all the techno and house music and literally the walls of our hotel rooms vibrating and booming with the music. After checking in, we went looking for some food, had our dinner but still we want to get some bites. We bought the famous Thai dessert which is the mango with sweetened glutinous rice and my dad loves cuttlefish, so he was looking for some. Me and my mom went up to the hotel room first as my dad was getting some cuttlefish.
.
After a few mins my dad came back with his cuttlefish and he has this look at his face. A weird smirk and he keeps smiling. Then he told us..'guess what i saw downstairs at the lobby?' Then i was in a suspense, something bad, i have this feeling lingering inside me. Then my dad finally said, 'I saw rats and cockroaches and bugs downstairs. This Hotel is dirty, then he throw a plastic bags full of silk worms...then my mom went beserk. She screamed and i just sat there laughing, so is my dad. My dad just bought the most bizzare Thai delicacy. 'FRY SILK WORMS'. We force my mom to try one of it, she reluctantly try one, one small bite at a time. Initially she didn't like it. The more she taste it, the more she liked it. After one long day, me and my dad were exhausted because we took turns driving, not long we knocked off. Unfortunately, my mom was wide awake until 2 am because she can't sleep due to the noise.

The next day we went out for breakfast, and suppose to get a cab down to Haatyai. But it was raining heavily so we canceled our intial plan and stayed at the hotel (We checked out and went to another hotel, bigger room with cheaper rates) 7-Eleven is just right beside the hotel, my dad told me that the burger at 7-eleven taste really good. I was like..'Areyou sure???' Then my dad say, maybe he was too hungry that everything he puts in his mouth tasted good. Ha, so i tried. Guess what...It tastes REALLY GOOD!!

Look at it, it's huge and it cost only 30 Bath!! Did i say it taste really good for burger that cost a mere RM3

It didn't stop raining since afternoon, at night i was getting kind of lazy. So my mom and dad went out for some dinner and i stayed alone in the room and do some reading. My parents came back with something for me. After an hour or so..they got hungry again. This time they dragged we down with them. I was sitting at a hawker stall, having a nescafe, which only cost RM1 by the way. Feels so good having a hot drink on a rainy day. I noticed my parents we both like..looking for something. Turning their heads each time a motorcycle passed by. I thought my dad was looking for some cuttlefish and my mom was looking out for him.
.
Right in front of my eyes, an old lady was pushing her cart slowly. Her cart was covered with some cone like paper made thingy to cover whatever she was selling due to the rain. My parents got so excited and they went over to the cart, guess what is she selling. BUGS!!! BUGS i tell you! My mom is getting all adventurous which she is normally not. They end up buying silk worms, bee's larvae, some long, skinny type worms and lastly crickets. Do not scroll down if you are afraid of bugs. It is not for the faint of heart. Some Gruesome pictures will be displayed. Don't say i didn't warn you, scroll down at your own risk!
.
Here we go!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Assorted bugs

Long, skinny worm (don't know what species)
.
Crickets
.
My mom trying to help me to get a close up
.
My dad getting excited, he's the one that placed the crickets on the strofoam
.
Artistic dad. WOW, worms in a fan formation
.
Silk worms

Doesn't it look delicious?

Yummy Yum Yum!!!
.
I like how my hair looks in this pic..sorry..focus on the worm.
Triple Treat!!!

3 ComplaintS:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..Ok Ok That's gross alright??!! @#$%^&*.. How on earth you could even eat that thing?? OMG!!! ok ok I'm over reacting I knw..

But really..my dear.. IT'S GROSS!! aaarrrrgghhhhhhh!!!

Wahahaha!! at least u had some fun hah. Out of Klg valley is good.

Nxt time drive me there ok? But I'm telling you!!! NO BUGS, OK?? NI BUGS I SAID!!!

Hehe..blek!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh!! Btw, yes ur hair looks nice!!

OMG!!! BUGS!! eeewwwww!! *vomit*

Anonymous said...

Eeeee....How can u eat the bugs?? They are so cute, why u eat them...haha :)

Glad that you had fun.