Sunday, January 27, 2008

Superstitions!!

Superstitions! I really don't understand why some people can really believe everything about superstitions and be superstitious. I know every religion have their own superstitions, it is mostly traditions from ancestor and are consider a taboo if it is not followed correctly.

I am a Chinese and i know how some Chinese can be overly superstitious. For me and my family, superstitions are followed when we have some elderly people around and when we know they are very particular in these kind of things. We will do it out of respect, but not to our everyday practice.

I respect each and every religion and their do's and don'ts, but not to the extreme. So, i just thought of talking about this for one reason that Chinese New Year is around the corner, and as most Chinese know that during Chinese New Year Celebration have lots of it's Dos and Don'ts we have to follow. For instance, we can't sweep the floor on the Eve of New Year because it means that we will sweeping out all the luck out the door, or when making prayers we are not allow to offer pears (did you ever notice that?) Pear in Chinese literally means 'to separate' and it is not auspicious for the Chinese.

Remember i talked about a few guys that my friend introduce to me where we went for the durian feast. Just something that i like to share. I find it weird and quite dumbfounded when i hear it through my friend.

To cut the long story short, we were at my friend's friend house and there is lots of durians scattered around on the floor. Initially i didn't want to have any because i have a meeting the next morning. Didn't want my breath to stink, so declined their offer. After much persuasion from the guys and they seem sincere, so i took a few.

After eating, i had problem throwing the seeds, i threw from afar, hoping my aim would be accurate and ends in the plastic bag. Damn, i miss it. So i carefully step over the durians minding not to step on any and hurt myself, i manage to step over and pick up my seed and throw it into the plastic bag. Little did i know that i have actually offend some of the guys and i did not obey some of the Chinese superstitions.

The next morning, my friend called me and sounded quite disappointed. She said 'Hey, you guys makes me really makes me mad yesterday(In a joking way)'. I was like what?? What did we do? She answer 'do you know what you have done? Have you notice that my friend looks quite blur yesterday and shock? I was like HUH??? My friend said, 'Do you know that you cross over the durians yesterday? I said, 'Yea, i was throwing the durian seeds into the waste paper plastic' She said 'Do you know that girls are not allowed to crossover food when other guys are going to eat it too??

Obviously i didn't know that, i never heard of any Chinese superstitions that said that girls are not allowed to 'cross over' any food. I dumbly say 'No, I'm not aware of that?' Finally my friend said 'did you notice that my friend was looking at you when you cross over the durian? Are you trying to give them free 'Black Magic'?' I'm like WTF???!!!??!

My mother never told me about this? What Chinese Superstition is that?? I am a Chinese too, i should know about it right?? What you expect me to do? the durians are scattered everywhere, there is only one waste paper plastic available, and all i can do is cross over the durians. It is not intentional, furthermore, I'm totally not aware of this particular taboo. She caught me at the wrong time when i was at work, so i couldn't stand for my right, i was dumbfounded.

I mean who in the hell puts food on the floor? That's common sense! I thought people eat on the table? But durians? Why is it compared to durians? Maybe the guy looks at me because i am too fat? Or i have a big butt, it could be also he expect me to trip on one of the durian shells and fall. It could be. Just a thought, i don't know ?

But to think a guy in the 30s and 40s, i can say they are educated people, still mind of small and minor things in life and dwell about it. That i just could not understand. How can one live, when you have to live with every superstitions hand down by ancestors and legends. I mean business is measured based on feng shui or arrangements of furniture, what colour clothing you wear, or your home facing to which direction. I mean how can people live with rules like that? I mean what if you this year your luck is facing the south direction, then you manage to find a house facing south, then next year your luck is facing north? then how? turn the house around? Impossible right?

Well, my friend called me and told me that she apologize to her friends on our behalf. I mean if you have already apologize to them, why bother telling me? I did not agree that it was my mistake, i don't even see it as a mistake. But why did she mind? Did her friends called her and complain? No! How in the world she realise her friends actually mind? Well, she told me after she woke up from her sleep then only she actually realised. Probably they talk to her in her sleep. Sigh, a guy that mind about this, I'm sure he is a very petty guy.

Since my friend have to call and explain herself, i feel she is just only being paranoid. Well, as they are all guys and i guess that maybe she likes one of the guys in that group. For she thinks that she is obligated to apologize to them, what else can i say since she has already done it for me? Well, it's her friends after all, she needs to face them in the future. If my apologizing makes her feel better and easier for her to face them, then i guess, she can go ahead.

As for me, i don't think i ever want to be of any acquaintance with them. As for a guy to think that way, it's very immature and sissy. Yucks! I asked a lot of guys at work and they are not even aware of this superstition. So i know how petty and small minded those guys can be.

3 ComplaintS:

Anonymous said...

OMG....that is so shallow minded!! I didn't know there is such pantang about crossing over DURIANs. I was once told that crossing over your school books will make you stupid but i cross over my school books so many times but nothing happen to me also....Hmm, after all I just think they have nothing to do to find fault with ppl with some typical "pantang"

Chill babe.... :)

Anonymous said...

Yea,i did heard of that pantang before. I still crossover books or magazine or whatever reading materials. I don't think i see myself getting dumber or dumberer.

i think i have to come up with my own 'pantangs' and catch people doing it unrealize. I still feel it is really dumb to beleive superstitions in its entirety.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...wanna come up with ur own "pantangs"?? I can help you ma. nyak nyak nyak.. I wonder which stupid feller could have created such pantangs. cannot cross over durians?? cross over banana can? watermelon can? tsk tsk tsk..

what nonsense!!!